The German writing house Graf Von Faber-Castell has more than 250 years of history behind it. The Faber-Castell family, continues the legacy of eight past generations by creating the most exclusive and detailed pieces.
Their history dates back to 1761, when Kaspar Faber manufactured his own pencils and sold them in the market of Nuremberg, Germany. From 1784, his son Anton Wilhelm took control of the company, achieving a great expansion. However, with the third generation, led by Georg Leonard Faber since 1810, the company fell into ruin due to the difficult times Germany was going through, both politically and economically.
It was from 1839 onwards that the family business began to be placed in a new situation, thanks to the legacy of Lothar Von Faber, who defined the standards of length and hardness of the writing instruments that the company keeps using today. The German company gained worldwide recognition thanks to the international sales network that they had successfully established over several decades.
After his death, his granddaughter Tilly inherited the company. She married Alexander Graf zu Castell-Rüdenhausen in 1898, who then took control of the business and gave it a new name: Graf und Gräfin von Faber-Castell.
From this decade on, the company starts to expand in the luxury market, launching the Graf (earlin German) von Faber-Castell line, with which they decided to manufacture pencils of an exquisite quality in dark green, as to be distinguished from their competitors. After the success of this line, which at the present time keeps being one of the flagship products of the brand with the Perfect Pencil Collection, Graf von Faber-Castell is considered today as Faber Castell's high-end brand, being specialized in writing tools and accessories, including pencils and fineliners.